Each horse at our SRWHMG rescue has it’s story of how they were suffering and would have died slowly in the wild, had we not rescued them. Most of you know Shadowfax’s story well.
Both he, as well as Batman, suffer from age related ailments, because they are just super old. Their worn down teeth caused problems with chewing, which is how they ended up emaciated in the wild, while all other horses were fat and healthy.
They also have some cancerous growths and arthritis, BUT we have SUPER great solutions, super great volunteers, super great veterinary care and super great sponsors, who help us buy all the ingredients for their 3 times per day SUPER BOWL.
If you want to give your old horse a super bowl too, here is the recipe:
- 2 scoops of bermuda-alfalfa pellets.
- 1 scoop of Purina Equine Senior feed (with supplements)
- Equivox pill for chronic pain
- Choindroitin powder for arthritis.
- Alfalfa flowers for taste.
- Put 2 scoops of bermuda-alfalfa pellets in large plastic bowl.
- Poor half a gallon of boiling water over it.
- Let soak for 2 hours.
- After it’s soft and mushy, add one scoop of equine senior to it and mix.
- Add scoop of Choindroitin supplement and mix
- Add Equivoxx pill.
- Add seperated alfalfa flowers on top to taste.
- Serve cool and on a clean rubber mat.
Watch them enjoy and improve in health and body weight!
(Of course also make sure your horse gets regular hoof-care, dental care, exercise and de-worming)
We do not know how long Shadowfax and Batman will still be with us, but it is very rewarding to see them enjoy their retirement!
With special thank you’s to our caretaker volunteers, and all sponsors of rescued Salt River horses! (You can become a sponsor here: www.SRWHMG.org)
Have a great Superbowl everyone!!